Maple butter

Click here if you want to go directly to the maple butter recipe. If you’ve ever wondered if you could make maple butter at home, this post is for you. Or keep reading to better understand the steps to make maple butter.
 Homemade maple butter

I have been thinking about maple butter for quite a long time, possibly months. Then again, I’m always thinking about things to make with maple syrup.

Think of the potential here. Pure maple syrup transformed into a delicious paste means you can sandwich it in between two cookies, or spread it on toast for breakfast.

What this also implies is an even more practical way of getting maple syrup into my belly. I can eat it straight with a spoon, without making a drippy mess of my fridge area. Genius.

Homemade maple butter on toast

Maple butter is kind of a misleading name though, but the name maple cream isn’t really much better, in my opinion. There’s no cream or butter here. It’s just pure maple syrup that has been boiled, cooled and stirred so that the syrup crystallizes in just the right way to give it this spreadable smooth texture.

Whatever you want to call it, this spreadable maple stuff is good. It’s really good.

Homemade maple butter and toast

The science behind maple butter is relatively simple. You just boil maple syrup until it reaches 235°F (a.k.a 22–24°F over the boiling point of water). By doing this, you are basically concentrating the sugar, making it easier to crystallize because all the tiny sugar molecules are now really close to each other in the syrup. Icing the concentrated syrup quickly drops its temperature, again another step favoring crystallization (and specifically smaller, finer crystals over bigger, chunky crystals). In the final step, you stir the mixture for a very long time (crystallization is a process, so patience is key here): eventually it will turn opaque/creamy-looking and become maple butter.

Click to get

I encourage you to sample after cooling the syrup both before and after the long stirring process because the mouth feel is really quite different, and that’s how you know it’s “done”. However, avoid sampling the boiling hot syrup. It may be tempting, but it’ll burn you really badly. Hungry for more recipes with maple syrup, there’s a whole category of maple syrup recipes to explore.

Homemade maple butter smeared on toast

Maple butter recipe

Homemade maple butter
5 from 2 votes

Maple butter

Ever wonder how to make maple butter from maple syrup at home. This recipe will help you make creamy smooth maple butter at home.

Course Breakfast
Cuisine American
Prep Time 1 hour
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
Servings 24
Calories 69 kcal
Author Janice

Ingredients

• 500 mL maple syrup I used Grade A, amber syrup from Quebec
  • 1/4 tsp canola oil apparently helps prevent the syrup from boiling over

Instructions

1. In a deep saucepan, boil the maple syrup with the oil, until it reaches about 235°F on medium–high heat.
  2. Immediately, transfer the boiled syrup to your stand mixer bowl, and drop the bowl into a big ice bath to cool the syrup down to about 60°F. Then let the syrup warm back up to room temperature.
  3. With the paddle attachment, beat the syrup on low for a very, very long time (like 30 minutes even) until it turns opaque and the color of sesame butter (the texture on your tongue when you sample it will go from syrupy at the beginning of the process to very finely powdery).
  4. Quickly transfer the maple butter to a large jar and store in the fridge.
  5. If the maple butter separates at any point, just give it a good stir before using.

, , , ,

33 Responses to Maple butter

1. Liz May 24, 2013 at 1:57 am #

I am so making this soon! Since we have so much maple syrup in our area I can’t pass this recipe up! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

2. Sarah @ The Woks of Life July 25, 2013 at 2:18 am #

Saw this on tastespotting. This looks beyond easy. I’m so making this!!

• Janice Lawandi July 28, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

You must! Seriously! I had no idea how good maple butter was until I made it, and then I couln’t stop eating it 😉

3. Kelly @ IdealistMom.com July 26, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

Thank you for this tutorial! Pinning it now 🙂

• Janice Lawandi July 28, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

I hope it helps and that you get to make maple butter soon!

4. Jamie September 7, 2013 at 3:08 am #

maple syrup for the win!! this looks awesome

• Janice Lawandi September 7, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

I know, lol! I don’t think I could live without maple. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

5. Lynn @ TheActorsDiet.com September 7, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

Oh genius.

• Janice Lawandi September 7, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

Thanks. I wish I can claim that I invented this one 😉

6. Unknown September 7, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

This looks incredible. Two questions: 1. do the temperatures need to be exact – do I really need a candy thermometer? 2. Will a hand-mixer do if I don’t have a stand mixer? Thanks!!

• Janice Lawandi September 7, 2013 at 10:51 pm #

Hand mixer is definitely an option. The beating is a little long, so you will have to stand there holding the hand mixer for awhile, but it’ll definitely work! As for the temp, I highly recommend you get a candy thermometer (they even have them at the grocery store!) but if you can’t, you can test the maple syrup temp by dropping a little in a cup of cold water: it should be just at the soft ball stage. Here’s a chart explaining this: http://baking911.com/quick-guide/how-to-az/candy-sugar-syrup-temperature-chart

• Unknown September 7, 2013 at 11:13 pm #

thank you so much!!!

• Janice Lawandi September 8, 2013 at 9:35 pm #

My pleasure! Please let me know how it goes 🙂

7. Jennifer Grubb September 28, 2013 at 2:38 am #

Does anyone know if you can waterbath can this?

• Janice Lawandi September 28, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

I’m not positive, but I think canning is possible BUT the maple butter separates with time, so if you store it too long, then you will have a syrup layer over the butter. According to this site, it’s best to freeze it for long term storage to preserve texture and flavor: http://www.goodwinfamilymaple.com/faq.php
      Hope this helps!

8. Colleen Clas February 1, 2014 at 12:40 am #

About how long would this last in the refrigerator? Just curious.
    I am pinning this and would love to attempt this. I’ve been wanting to do this…cornbread with FRESH maple butter..
    Thank you!

• Janice Lawandi February 3, 2014 at 4:13 am #

I am so glad you will be making this maple butter! It would definitely be excellent on fresh cornbread 🙂
      It’s hard to say how long this keeps as websites recommend keeping up to 6 months. It’s important to keep it refrigerated in a closed jar. And another thing to note: some syrup might separate out of the maple butter after storing for a little while, so you might have a layer of syrup over the maple butter in the jar. Hope that helps!

9. Samantha Whipps February 10, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

I made this, but I’m not sure if I’ve done it right. XD it’s still beating on my kitchenaid and the colour looks right but the texture seems very thin. Oh well, if it doesn’t come together I’m still going to eat it. Perhaps I didn’t cook it long or hot enough.

• Janice Lawandi February 10, 2014 at 9:03 pm #

Definitely, still delicious even if it’s a little thin 😉
      You are right, Samantha, it could be a temperature issue, but it also might keep crystallizing and “setting” as it cools. I find even when I think it’s cooled, it still sets more a little afterwards. Good luck and let me know how it turns out in the end!

10. Aimee @ Simple Bites May 23, 2014 at 10:08 pm #

I can tell you how long this lasts in the refrigerator: zero days because I will eat it all first!!

I need to make this soon for my kids and impress them. 😉

11. Jasmyn January 22, 2015 at 6:24 pm #

Three questions…

1. We don’t have a stand mixer. Will it work with either a blender or an electric mixer? Does it really have to be a half hour of mixing?

2. Since real maple syrup is in low abundance here in Hawaii and, subsequently, ridiculously expensive, we’ve always made our own out of corn syrup and maple extract (or is it called maple flavoring?)… would it work with that or would it HAVE to be maple syrup?

3. I also have a barley malt syrup. Would it work with that, too? I’d love a malt butter!

• Janice January 25, 2015 at 9:25 pm #

Hi Jasmyn,
      To answer your questions:
      1. I think an electric handheld mixer should work but yes it really does have to mix for that long, which is why a stand mixer makes it even easier. Technically you could even make this by stirring with a wooden spoon, but personally I’m too lazy to mix something by hand for that long…
      2. you definitely cannot add in corn syrup to the maple syrup because the corn syrup will prevent the crystallization process of the maple syrup, so don’t try adding in corn syrup. I wrote a post about sugar crystallization explaining this: http://www.kitchenhealssoul.com/2014/02/06/focus-on-crystallization/html
      3. As for using barley malt syrup, to be honest, I’m not sure. I know malt syrups contain maltose (while maple syrup is over 90% sucrose). Again, I’m worried the malt syrup won’t crystallize… If it’s cheap, I’d give it a try, but I have never attempted to make malt butter (though now that you’ve brought it up, it sounds yummy!). If you try, let me know how it goes please!

Good luck and I hope my answers were helpful!

• April Sims March 17, 2015 at 2:36 am #

I know this is back from January but I just wanted to throw in my 2cents on the mixer situation. As far as using corn syrup and barley syrup I have no clue about that subject.

I’ve made this recipe 3 times (first 2 by hand after I burned the motor out on my hand mixer) this last time I used my ninja blender and it worked out excellently. You can only let the mixture cool to 135 ℉ to 125 ℉ so it can be easily removed from the pot. Based this recipe and many others the sryup must be taken off the burner and cooled in the pot or poured from a hot pot to an “iced” pot and then cooled down to 100 ℉ to room temperature ( around 60 to 70 ℉). Because my ninja a plastic container not glass one (if your blender is glass you don’t have to let it cool as much but still will need some cooling) you can’t pour the extremely hot mixture directly into it. But if cooled to the stir temperature it’s a beast to get into the blender.

Hope this helps about the mixing question.

• Janice March 25, 2015 at 7:10 pm #

This is so helpful, April! Thank you for all the extra info and for taking the time to add in your suggestions in the comments here!

12. Teresa March 25, 2015 at 9:08 pm #

Okay, this is one recipe I DON’T need to know how to make! Maple butter is my Kryptonite – I can’t leave it alone. 🙂

Seriously, though, this is a great recipe and it’s cool to find out how to make it.

13. Shareba March 26, 2015 at 4:15 pm #

I’ve seen maple butter for sale before, but I had no idea it was this “easy” to make. And by “easy” I mean, I think it looks simple enough but I will probably mess up my first batch 😛

14. Irena June 1, 2015 at 9:19 am #

Thanks for sharing this great idea! However I have already tried to make this maple butter twice without success. I’ve followed the instructions exactly and used a candy thermometer to determine the temperature. It seems to me that my maple syrup is weird. Every time I heat it up to 235 F it already becomes similar to a thick very sticky caramel, that is extremly hard to stir. After I’ve been stirring it continuously, it changes its color but gets really really thick and sticky, more like a caramel ball than a spread. When I try it, I can’t taste any cristals and the consistency seems ok, but its just not spreadable. The only thing I think might have made a difference is the maple syrup I’ve used. Has anyone had similar experience? I’ve used grade A maple syrup.

• Mark December 17, 2016 at 10:30 am #

I’ve made it once by hand and it sounds like you didn’t stir it enough. It takes a REALLY long time, almost an hour. I am going to try it in my kitchenaid this morning.

15. Blair September 7, 2015 at 9:23 pm #

How long will this last after you make it? Can you freeze it? I suppose if you can hide it in the freezer, you wouldn’t inhale it too quickly!

Looks delicious!!

• Mark December 17, 2016 at 10:31 am #

It will last a month in the fridge. You can freeze it indefinitely no problem.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 12 Maple Syrup Treats For Your Sweet Tooth - January 6, 2016

[…] A maple butter is perfect to have with toast or a […]

2. March 2017 desktop calendar | Kitchen Heals Soul - April 25, 2017