Welcome to Kitchen Heals Soul
If you want to discover new baking recipes, learn about the science of baking, and read lots of tips & tricks to help you bake better, you are in the right place!
Kitchen Heals Soul started in 2010 as a regular food blog, which quickly morphed into what it is now: a baking blog with an emphasis on the science of baking so that we can all learn to bake better.
I aim to inspire you to bake more, to tackle new recipes, and also to learn from each and every kitchen mishap. You will improve with every mistake and grow as a baker. I promise!
This is a nerdy baking blog
I have the head of a scientist, but the heart of a baker. I got a PhD in Chemistry from McGill University, and as much as I love Chemistry, I wanted to follow a different path. I wanted to bake.
So, I attended Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa and completed a Pâtisserie de Base certificate. And after all that, I really thought I would open a bakery, but I didn’t. See, I love to bake and I’ve been baking for over a decade, but turns out, I like to develop recipes and mess with them to perfect them. My favourite thing is to dissect a recipe to figure out what makes it better and what makes it worse. And so, here we are: Kitchen Heals Soul is a nerdy baking blog. I want to share everything I learn about baking with you so that you can bake better too. By sharing the tips & tricks that work (and even those that don’t), together, we will all become better bakers.
Become a better baker
When you join Kitchen Heals Soul, you will get a free ebook that is a collection of recipes to get you started with exclusive tips and tricks.
You will also receive a weekly update to let you know what I’ve been working on and to inspire you to get in the kitchen and bake something new, or to play around with an old recipe.
Let’s get baking! Here are some posts to get you started
- For a simple loaf cake: Buttermilk cake with banana & cardamom
- For pie: Maple apple pie
- For cookies: Classic peanut butter cookies
- For ice cream: Homemade ice cream sandwiches
- For something chocolaty (and gluten-free too!): Gluten-free peanut butter brownie bites
- For an elaborate layer cake: Berry chocolate cake
- What exactly is baking soda?
- What’s the setting point of jams & marmalades?
- How do I stop caramel from crystallizing?
Tips & tricks
- How do I get a tart out of a tart pan?
- How do I peel pistachios?
- Confused about cups & grams? Start here with a handy list of baking conversions!
- What do I need to make pie dough from scratch?
- What tools should I buy if I want to make homemade jam?
- What should I read to learn more about the science of baking?
- Do you know of any books on gluten-free baking?
- Can you recommend a book about baking with less sugar?
- What’s your favourite book about jam?