To celebrate my birthday, I made this chocolate amaretti cake recipe (adapted from Spoon Fork Bacon). It’s made from ground amaretti cookies and almonds (instead of flour). This recipe yields a cake with chewy edges, a crackly top, and a moist crumb. It’s super chocolaty and the flavour of amaretto from the cookies shines through. I really loved this recipe, and I hope you will try it soon to celebrate a birthday, or just because.
Chocolate amaretti cake
- 75 grams amaretti cookies ~14
- 75 grams sliced almonds
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 115 grams unsalted butter 1/2 cup, room temperature
- 100 grams granulated sugar 1/2 cup
- 4 large eggs
- 227 grams dark chocolate 8 oz, I used Cacao Barry
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch springform lightly. If you are using individual ramekins, no need to grease them since you will be serving the cakes directly in them.
- Grind the amaretti cookies and the flaked almonds in the food processor with the cinnamon til they are finely ground. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed and beating til the mixture is light and fluffy (several minutes).
- Add the melted chocolate, then the vanilla and the ground cookie mixture, beating til the batter is smooth and all the ingredients are evenly mixed in.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan(s) and bake for about 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. The top(s) will have crackled nicely.
- Let the cake(s) cool completely on a wire rack. Note they will sink in the center as they cool.
- Enjoy as is or with a dollop of whipped cream.
Janice Lawandi is chemist-turned-baker, working as a recipe developer in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. She studied pastry at Le Cordon Bleu in Ottawa and cooking at l’Académie Culinaire. She has a BSc in Biochemistry from Concordia University and a PhD in Chemistry from McGill University. Visit janicelawandi.com to see my portfolio.