Lemon mousse is an easy gluten-free dessert that is light and fluffy. The method is simple to throw together: equal parts lemon curd (store bought if you have no time to make it) and whipped cream (whipped to medium soft peaks) are folded together, spooned into serving cups, and refrigerated overnight to set. Personally, I like to serve it with fresh berries (whatever I can find) and crumbled graham cracker crust. It's easy and it's yummy.
Sometimes you may opt to stabilize mousse with gelatin (like with this pumpkin mousse), but in this case, I don't think it's necessary. If you want to store it for longer than a day though, you may want to add gelatin to stabilize it and avoid any water separating out.
You can serve this lemon mousse with homemade graham crackers or gluten-free cookies if you want to keep the dessert gluten-free. You can also bake a graham cracker crust (without any filling) to then crumble on top of the jars of mousse for a cute dessert.
Graham cracker crumble
- 65 grams (¾ cup) graham cracker crumbs
- 15 grams (1 tbsp) granulated sugar
- 35 grams (2 ½ tbsp) unsalted butter melted
- 250 mL (1 cup) whipping cream (35 % fat) cold
- 250 mL (1 cup) lemon curd preferably homemade
- 170 grams (1 ½ cups) fresh raspberries for garnishing
For the crumble
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Serve with crumbled graham cracker crust and fresh raspberries.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs with the granulated sugar.
- Add the melted butter and stir til the crumbs are evenly coated and clump nicely when squeezed together.
- Transfer crumbs to the baking sheet in a mound, pressing and spreading it out evenly (don’t worry if it doesn’t reach the edge). You are making a giant flat cookie here basically..
- Bake for 10 minutes, and let cool before crumbling over the lemon mousse.
For the lemon mousse
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream to medium soft peaks.
- A a dollop or two of the whipped cream and add it to a small bowl containing the lemon curd. Stir to mix well and lighten the curd.
- Add the lightened curd to the bowl of whipped cream and fold it in.
- Transfer the lemon mousse to serving dishes and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve with raspberries and graham cracker crumble